Have you ever wished to know that whether any third person has used your Windows computer without your consent? It can be possible if you have a snoopy room partner or a curious cousin who want to see your personal stuff. It may be possible that you know that someone has used your computer, but there is no evidence to prove it.
The harsh reality is that the person who uses your computer without your permission will likely leave some kind of evidence on the computer itself, even he/she don’t realize it. It is well-proven fact that all the activities on the computer can be tracked no matter what it is. Some of the activities that leave evidence consist of launching applications, opening files, browsing the internet, and restarting a computer and much more.
There are many users who often give their security credential to the others for a limited period of time. It allows them to access the user’s Windows PCS. However, there is a chance that the third person might use that detail in a wrong way which might be harmful to you. Using logon auditing will help in knowing that whether a person has accessed your computer or not in your absence.
Benefits of finding who logged in and when into the computer:
It is extremely important to know about whether or not someone has accessed your computer or not in your absence. The persons having unauthorized access can log in your computer and can perform a number of malicious activities such as sending inappropriate emails, downloading files, etc. In addition to this, you can also monitor the activity of your child in the computer by getting information regarding the access to the computer.
Note: One thing the users must note that the logon auditing only works in the Professional edition of Windows and the users can’t access it on a home edition. It will work on Windows 7, 8 and 10. However, there is a chance that the screens might display in a different way. It will depend on the version, the user have installed on their computer.
In this article, we will tell you about the method through which any unauthorized access to your computer can be checked easily.
1. Enabling the Logon Auditing-
The easiest way to keep an eye on your computer is the logon auditing. In order to enable it, follow these steps.
- First of all, you have to open the local group policy editor by pressing the Windows key and type gpedit.msc in the start menu. After that, you have to press the enter button.
- Secondly, you have to navigate to the window security settings. Here click the local policies option and then audit policy.
- After entering the folder, you have to double-click in the audit logon events policy setting that can be found in the right pane for adjusting its available options. Then, you have to enable the success check for logging the logons successfully in the properties window.
2. Checking logon events-
- When the logon auditing gets enabled, the logon events will be logged in the Windows that consist of a username and time for the security log of the system. For checking these events, the users have to click on the Windows key and type Event Viewer and press enter for opening it.
- After that, look for the events that have event ID 4624. The successful login events are represented by these IDs.
- For getting further information, you have to double-click the event and scrolling down in the box underneath the event’s list.
- You have to select the Filter Current Log option available in the sidebar if the security of your computer is cluttered. Only logon events can be displayed by the event viewer.
Using this method, you can easily check if someone had tried to see your personal stuff without your permission. If you liked this article, please post on your social media accounts and help the people in finding the unauthorized access to their computer. Also, please drop the feedback in the comment section below. It will be a great help for us.
Author Bio: AJ is a full loving person who enjoys his work thoroughly and has a keen interest in Web Designing. He is a professional web designer and a blogger. Founder of a tech blog Techzib and a Web Designing Agency Anujal Infotech. In his free time he loves watching movies.If you like the post please consider rating it-